29 July | 11:28:16
Scotland's Student Newspaper
10-woman Heriot Watt held by late goal
Second half Robert Gordon goal splits points in hard fought battle
Monday, 05 November, 2007 | 06:26

A late second-half goal secured Aberdeen's Robert Gordon University a hard-earned 1-1 away draw with Heriott Watt University.

Clare Andrew's 61st minute goal came about from a swift Robert Gordon counter-attack following a failed attack by Heriot Watt which saw Robert Gordon charge up the pitch to score.

Despite the windy conditions, Heriot Watt began the match in fighting spirits and a well executed short corner pushed the team into the lead through a Jo Hutton goal with only 6 minutes gone.

However, early lead seemed to bring a halt to their attacking play as after ten minutes Heriott Watt took their foot off the accelerator. Neither team seemed capable of keeping possession during an otherwise uneventful first half which was punctuated with free hits and short corners. Robert Gordon fired many a hopeful shot wide of target in a desperate bid to equalise but went unrewarded.

Heriot Watt came back onto the pitch with a restored desire to win at the start of the second half. Countering this, however, was the Robert Gordon team's steely defending to avoid conceding any more goals and, with their eye on scoring themselves, tough attacking play.

The grapple for possession resulted in a few raised balls and, unfortunately, a minor injury for a Robert Gordon player. The goal-less 25 minutes of the second half and the on-going battle for possession clearly created frustration for the teams as a few desperate maneuvers were attempted which resulted in a Heriot Watt player being sent off leaving the side one player down. Robert Gordon seized the prime attacking opportunity on the ten player opposition and a well placed hit saw Clare Andrew bring the scores to a draw.

The final ten minutes of the match were increasingly desperate for both teams as they attempted to score the winning goal. However both defences proved too strong and the scores were left tied at the final whistle.

Share this article:
blog comments powered by Disqus
The Journal in print