28 July | 01:25:53
Scotland's Student Newspaper
Gair sends City into Semi
Edinburgh City scrape through to the Semi Final of the Image Printers Cup.
Andy Edwards
Saturday, 07 November, 2009 | 20:25

Watt were full of confidence going into this Cup match against a team four places below them in the league table but did not count on a spirited Edinburgh City side. Edinburgh started brightly, with a fourth-minute corner headed past the right hand post by Jordan Caddow.

Watt weathered this early storm and put City under pressure for much of the first half. First, a powerful header from Simon Ferrie was clawed out of the air by Edinburgh goalkeeper Duncan Monteith, who then saved smartly at the feet of Ewan Watson moments later. Watt came closer still in the thirtieth minute, as Aaron James rattled a free kick against the crossbar from 25 yards, before Andy Forbes blazed the rebound over. Edinburgh were fortunate to go in at the break with the scores still level.

Watt had had all the chances in the second half but Edinburgh only needed one. In the fifty-fifth minute, a clearance from the Edinburgh defence was chased by Dougie Gair who stole in between the Watt defenders to loft the ball over the keeper and into the goal. It was route one football at its best and served to galvanise Edinburgh.

Predictably, for the rest of the game, Heriot-Watt dominated. They threw every player forward in search of an equaliser and came agonisingly close; Lars Berger, Michael Renwick and Matt Travis all saw their attempts drift past the posts to safety after a series of accurate crosses from Aaron James.

Edinburgh however stood firm, with their back four proving solid throughout. Watt were restricted to a series of half chances late in the game and Edinburgh could have doubled their lead, Jordan Caddow curling an eightieth minute shot past the right post from inside the area.

As the game drifted towards its finish, it descended into a midfield battle as neither side could carve any clear-cut chances. Frustrations within the Watt team appeared to boil over when Michael Renwick was shown a straight red for kicking out at an Edinburgh player. It seemed a harsh decision from the referee that marred a game that had been otherwise played in good spirit.

Edinburgh can now look forward to a semi-final clash with their sights firmly set on the Image Printers Cup.

More articles like this
|| || || ||
Share this article:
blog comments powered by Disqus
The Journal in print